David P. Parker
Office: (202) 298-8750
Facsimile: (202) 337-5804
Business Transaction & Healthcare Practice:
David Parker practices in the business transaction and healthcare areas. His business practice includes overseeing all legal aspects of private debt and equity financings and the purchase and sale of businesses. He represents buyers and sellers in the purchase or sale of business operations and entities. He has experience in originating, syndicating, closing, servicing, and working-out a broad range of private financings of operating businesses. Mr. Parker’s lending practice includes many forms of senior and junior debt, representing both capital providers and borrowers. His equity finance practice includes venture capital and similar early-stage transactions, and many forms of later stage equity capital formation. He also provides advice on general corporate matters. Mr. Parker also advises officers, directors and owners of businesses in control disputes and similar internal conflicts.
In the health law area, Mr. Parker represents providers in Medicare, Medicaid, and private payor administrative proceedings involving overpayment, revocation and other audit matters, and buyers and sellers in healthcare related transactions. He also gives advice on False Claims Act, Stark, and Anti-Kickback Statute issues.
From 1995 until 2006, Mr. Parker was a partner with Dickstein Shapiro LLP in Washington, DC, with a corporate transaction practice. From 1979 to 1995, Mr. Parker served as the principal in-house attorney for Allied Capital, a publicly traded Business Development Company headquartered in Washington, DC; he was its general counsel from 1985 until 1995. At Allied Capital, he handled his clients’ transaction work, including closings, servicing, and workouts of equity investments, mezzanine and senior loans, and managed both in-house and outside counsel engaged in corporate governance and regulatory matters.
Recent Matters Handled Include:
- Purchase and restructure of $64 Million of senior secured and subordinated debt and preferred stock financings for sponsored commercial aviation heavy maintenance and repair company headquartered in Miami. Representing in-coming lead lender.
- $54.5 Million syndicated senior and term B secured loan facility, and related preferred stock purchase, to finance sponsored buyout of privately-held printed circuit manufacturer in Colorado. Representing lender/equity investor.
- $46 Million senior secured debt financing for unsponsored international long-distance and VOIP provider with headquarters in the D.C. Metro area and operations in 7 foreign countries, in connection with confirmation of its Chapter 11 Plan of Reorganization. Representing lead lender.
- $37 Million senior and subordinated secured debt and preferred equity financing for unsponsored acquisition of 5 domestic Muzak franchises and control of Muzak Western Europe area franchisor.
- Representing lead lender/investor. $25 Million senior secured loan to finance acquisition of Los Angeles area AM radio station.
- Representing sole lender. $10 Million subordinated unsecured debt financing for sponsored importer and distributor of kitchenware headquartered near Seattle, in connection with refinancing of senior loan facility. Representing lead subordinated lender. $
- $9 Million first mortgage and participation feature financing for acquisition of retail real estate in Jacksonville, FL. Representing lender REIT.
Acquisitions & Sales
- $250 Million sale of unsponsored food packaging materials manufacturer in North Carolina to publicly-held strategic buyer. Representing lead investor in the target company.
- $35 Million acquisition of 125 rural cable and satellite television systems and franchises in 6 Midwestern states from Chapter 11 Debtor in Possession. Representing buyer and buyer’s capital provider.
- Merger of limited liability companies, partnerships and corporations owning and managing 137 broadcasting tower facilities in 4 states. Representing surviving entity and its REIT majority owner.
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia (J.D. 1974; Phi Delta Phi)
- University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee (B.A. in Political Science; cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, National Scholar)
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association
- Admitted to Practice in the District of Columbia and Virginia