Facsimile: (202) 337-5804
Practice Concentration and Experience
John Pierce in an experienced former Federal prosecutor and trial attorney whose practice focuses on sophisticated criminal defense and civil litigation. His background is rather unique. Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Pierce served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of California, the District of Columbia and in the Eastern District of Virginia. While working as a Federal prosecutor in the Eastern District of Virginia, he represented the office on the Attorney General’s Advisory Committee (AGAC) for Health Care Fraud. Since leaving the government, Mr. Pierce has successfully represented both foreign and domestic individuals and corporations in health care, commercial securities, corruption, export control and tax disputes. He has also handled a number of whistleblower cases.
After leaving the government in 2000, John Pierce worked at a large Washington, DC based firm known for its vigorous prosecutions of antitrust claims, and other complex litigation. He prosecuted antitrust claims worth $1 billion, defended corporate clients in commercial litigation, and conducted internal investigations. Mr. Pierce opened his own practice in 2003 and founded Themis in 2010. Prior to formally joining our firm, Mr. Pierce worked on a significant number of health care fraud cases with Liles Parker attorneys.
If you are under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the Office of Inspector General (OIG), the Defense Criminal Investigative Service (DCIS) or one of the Medicare Fraud Strike Force teams that have been established, give John Pierce a call. He can help protect your business, your reputation and, most importantly, your personal liberty.
Financial / Regulatory Matters Handled by John Pierce:
- Defended an attorney investigated by U.S. government for investment fraud.
- Defended an Iranian-American businessmen investigated by U.S. government for criminal violations of U.S. sanctions against Iran.
- Defended both U.S. and foreign financial experts investigated by the SEC.
- Defended a U.S. company and its officers investigated for money laundering.
- Defended a CEO investigated for securities fraud by a state securities regulator.
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana (B.S. in Economics).
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas (J.D.)
Health Care Fraud Related Matters and Cases Handled by John Pierce:
- Defended multiple pain clinics and their physicians investigated by the FBI and HHS for improper prescribing practices and billing fraud.
- Defended substance abuse treatment clinics and their providers investigated by the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s Office for billing fraud.
- Defended a pharmacist investigated by FBI and DEA for money laundering and fraud.
- Defended a cardiologist investigated by HHS and U.S. Attorney’s Office for billing fraud.
- Defended a CEO of orthopedic surgery center for billing fraud.
- Defended a family therapist investigated by HHS and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for billing fraud.
- Defended an anesthesiologist investigated by FBI and IRS for Medicare and tax fraud.
- Defended mask importer in PPP fraud investigation initiated by United States DOJ
- Defended lab owners in Medicare billing fraud investigations and prosecutions brought by United States DOJ
- Defended marketers relating to Medicare benefits in prosecution brought by United States DOJ
- Defended beneficiaries of Medicaid benefits for disabled youth in state Attorney General investigation
- Rated “AV Preeminent” Highest Possible Peer Review Rating in Legal Ability and Ethical Standards (20013 — 2021).
- America’s Most Honored Professionals: Top 1% (2014-2020).
- Top Rated Lawyers in Litigation (2015).
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Several federal Circuit Courts of Appeal and District Courts nationwide
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- District of Columbia
- Serves as an officer of the Invisible Hand Foundation.
- Is a Member of the Student Life Advisory Counsel for Purdue University.
- Vice President of the Board of Directors of Housing Unlimited Inc., a non-profit providing housing for those in mental health recovery
- Formerly served as General Counsel to The Board of Directors of The Woods Academy, a private school in Bethesda, Maryland.
- Coaches several youth sports teams in basketball and softball.